Monday 20 May 2013

The Beacon

Lighthouse Dandelions by Jamie Wyeth
I dreamed of a lighthouse, lit by the sun,
but the dark clouds hovered near-
threw a vivid and menacing shade on a hill
whose atmosphere filled me with fear.

Stark rose the seed heads, as from the grave,
the gold of their petals long gone,
and their skeleton bodies reached up to me
as I stood apprehensive and wan.

My dreams sailed rough seas all that night long,
storm-tossed on turbulent waves,
till a beam from that lighthouse lead me to shore
and I knew, as I woke, I'd been saved.

Written for The Mag  with thanks to Tess


9 comments:

  1. Adroit, skillfull and smart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one. It's not so nice when you wake from a dream like that to find the house is flooded . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb. And I like how you have captured a different angle on the lighthouse in your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't thought of the purpose of the lighthouse when I saw the prompt, so I like how you used that in your poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you captured that image perfectly with your words! I also like how you showed the entire image. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love where the muse took you on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this one! You captured the picture in a wonderful way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful I love that you managed to capture both the ominous aspects of the image and a sense of hope

    ReplyDelete
  9. ..this is excellent! i am glad there is hope in the end... and that you didn't go all dark in here... smiles... thanks for the poem!!!

    ReplyDelete