Friday 21 January 2011

Skating On Thin Ice

That's what my Beloved is doing! She is publicly maligning me again! Insinuating that I'm still playing a saxophone (badly), when she knows full well, I GAVE IT AWAY* to keep the peace (not to mention the quiet!) and have taken up the gentler art of comb-an'-paper serenading.
But Ada's poetic offering of a Skater's Waltz sing-along-song*, in reply to Willow's prompt*, reminded me I once did a similar thing, when trying to serenade Beloved, HERE*, using a tune from the Old Crow Medicine Show.                                                                                      
(*Click these links to see for yourself. )

But, back to the present.  Being contemplative by nature, I gave the photo a colour wash to add mood. before writing the following lines.

Unanswered Questions

Frozen in time, the three prim and proper
ladies posed for the photographer.
Was his camera atop a tripod, black
cloth draped, while he counted seconds?
Or had the photographic art progressed
to the stage where a simple box
of tricks, held in the hand, was enough
to record their sortie into the snow?
Did a professional lurk beside the ice
hoping to amaze his subjects? Did he
charge a fee? Or was the occasion informal,
history recorded by some unknown
family member proud to be the owner
of a new acquisition - a camera?


16 comments:

  1. I wondered if it would be a box camera or one of those jobs with glass plates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered that too, Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caddoc, dear Caddoc! I do apologise! I hadn't realized you had taken up the paper-and-comb. I thought . . . I thought it was . . . your saxophone playing wasn't improving very much.
    P.S. I have a Swanee Whistle somewhere. Maybe we should get together?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beloved, if you have enough puff and manual dexterity for a Swanee Whistle, what are we waiting for?! Friday night is Music Night...oh, wait a minute...people may not know about that old Radio Programme - the heathens!

    Cad X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting to wonder about that part of the picture which must always remain unseen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder, is it the clothes that make them seem prim and proper to us? their expressions don't seem prim...if I could just get the time machine working, we could answer these burning questions...

    Nice mag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One o' them new-fangled Kodaks, probably. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I second the time machine idea! It is an unusual perspective you took, interesting musings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely a Kodak moment well described!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ... never thought of the angle you took - let's hope it didn't take too much set up - it looks cold. And maybe the photographer was a woman...? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great way to use this prompt! Truly clever. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it was one of those box camera thingies... with the cloth draped over and must have taken such a long time, froze them even... in time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. There seem to be no end to the questions posed by that photograph. Full marks, though for thinking of the photographer and using a bit of reverse spin!

    ReplyDelete
  14. One does wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  15. we both had thought about the photographer but you captured those questions best!

    ReplyDelete