Sunday 30 September 2012

Three by Four ?

Photo by Joy Ann Jones

And the scudding clouds streak across the sky;
thin, vaporous beings, insubstantial,
yet softening the effect of a day

when sunshine may otherwise prove too strong
for tender petals blushing pink with shyness.
Close-cupped buds hide in spherical silence,

while trumpet pistils herald golden light
from central tones of ruby at their base,
deep notes resonating in harmony.

A summer symphony is created
for our enjoyment. The natural world
is generous with its gifts to mortals.


For IGWRT's Sunday mini challenge.

10 comments:

  1. Now, I have never said or even thought this before but here goes:
    I wish I had written this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summertime and the livin' is easy ... I want to linger there a while longer. Lovely writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gifts indeed!!

    Love this:

    "tender petals blushing pink"

    Nicely done on this challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... and to recognize and enjoy those gifts is a precious treat. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, especially the first stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful...I like the summer symphony ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great place to pull up a stump and sit a while. Absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This lovely description of the flowers does real credit to the photo, and to everything we love about summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally lovely in its detail, your poem will change forever how I see my rose of Sharon--the crimson! and the trumpeter!. Thanks too for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete