Monday 4 September 2023

Date Night

  


There sat Beloved, as posh as you please,
the sight of her made me go weak at the knees
as she waited for me at a table for two.
Well, what is a fellow like me meant to do?
Her skin glowing-rosy in light from a lamp
got me so flustered my palms felt quite damp.
"You look beautiful, Ada as you sit there!"
I smiled in delight, tossed my hat in the air,
and signalled a waiter to "Bring us Champagne!
No need for either of us to abstain;
toast this special occasion - Old Love's young dream!"
Alas and alack here the fates intervened...
The maître de witnessed this harrowing scene; 
"What a great night!" fast became 'might have been.'

A wench with two bowls full of Mulligatawny,
slipped, nearby me, caused a kind of tsunami!
I got showered with soup and had to retire,
cancelling chances that I might inspire
my Ada's passions, at least for the night. 
Will fate never manage to treat me right?

'And the moral of this tale? That Triumph plus Disaster may give rise to laughter!' With thanks to Friday Writings

9 comments:

  1. You've an ear well-tuned to rhyme, Cad me Lad. And remember - hope springs eternal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better that, Doc, than an ear tuned to B flat!!! :-)

      Delete
  2. Lyrical indeed... a vivid scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a second, I read that as 'livid'. Hahaha! That's what I should have been about my Mulligatawny shower! Good job I know how to laugh, though. :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh dear, should I laugh or commiserate? Kudos for the wonderful pairing of Mulligatawny and tsunami.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosemary, I think I forgot to click the 'reply' button to your comment...silly me, but the comment/reply below is meant for you...

      Delete
  4. Oh, no question! LAUGH! (I do it all the time. I have to, living with Ada! Yay!)

    ReplyDelete